Green Sustainability Policy
At Edgbaston Park Hotel & Conference Centre, we take our commitment to the environment very seriously. To this end we have enrolled in the Green Meeting (Green Tourism) with a goal to achieve a Gold award, demonstrating how the Hotel gone the extra mile in assessing their environmental impact and committing themselves to improvement in their environmental performance.
The Executive Management, Heads of Department and team at Edgbaston Park Hotel & Conference Centre recognise and accept that the activities involved in running the business can impact the environment. To minimise our impact, the Hotel is committed to a policy of sound and responsible environmental management, leading to a sustainable use of resources and optimal management and minimisation of waste.
Scope of Policy
Our Environmental & Sustainability Policy applies to all Hotel operations.
The following actions have been taken within the business to reduce our impact on the environment.
“We are committed to doing everything in our power to protect and sustain our local,
natural and global environment for future generations” Richard Metcalfe, Chief Executive Officer, Edgbaston Park Hotel & Conference Centre
- To minimise our carbon footprint.
- To reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.
- To extend our sustainable sourcing.
- To help improve local businesses and our local community within our supply chain.
- To take steps to encourage both our guests and People to lead healthier lifestyles.
- To educate our guests on car free transport to/from the hotel and exploration by foot around our hotel.
- We record energy usage allowing accurate monitoring of our energy consumption and energy saving initiatives.
- We use LED lightbulbs across the Hotel.
- We have committed to glass-only bottles for water provision in our 15 meeting rooms.
- We recycle all waste glass, plastics and cardboard.
- We have installed a composting system for 50% of food waste.
- We have installed a voltage optimiser installed saving 10% of electricity used.
- We encourage groups to travel by public transport or one form of transport to reduce carbon emissions.
- We use LED lightbulbs in all bedrooms
- We change bed linen only after the second night, unless requested.
- We use kettles with a one-litre capacity or less to save energy boiling water that is not required.
- We provide separate bins for general waste and recyclable materials.
- We use in-room toiletries that are all environmentally friendly.
- We have reduced detergent and water usage, by only changing towels on request.
- We only use toilet rolls that are certified 100% British recycled.
- We provide large eco-pump bottles of bathroom toiletries to minimise wastage.
- We have an online and telephone booking system which enables us to send all correspondence via email, reducing paper usage and postage.
- We allow guests to view bedrooms, sample restaurant menus, facilities and full live bedroom availability for up to 12 months ahead on our website, reducing print materials.
- We recycle or shred all used paper.
- We have electric bikes available to rent with local routes and maps.
- We have doorstep guides for guests to encourage walks from the Hotel and less car usage.
- We have electric car charging point installed for guests.
Food & Beverage
- We use only British meats.
- We ensure all our cheeses come from local dairies.
- We ensure our fresh fish products are from sustainable sources.
- We use locally sourced products wherever possible.
- We collaborate with local suppliers for our menu items.
- We use a local brewery to offer a selection of real ales both on draught and in bottle form.
- We ensure all our wines and spirits are sourced locally.
- We ensure, to the best of our knowledge, that all of our products are GM-free products.
- We provide discounted travel on public transport to encourage less use of a car.
- We offer a cycle to work scheme, to encourage less use of a car.
- We provide training for our People on Environmental and Green ways of working through our Welcome Day Induction.
- We provide mugs, cups, cutlery and dishes, so single-usage disposable items are not needed.
- We provide recycling facilities.
- We provide staff food which complies with all of our Food & Beverage commitments above.
- We encourage staff to not print off documents unless necessary.
- We have invested in an intranet as a means of communicating key messages to staff, to reduce the need for documents to be printed off for notice boards.
- We encourage our People to use public transport when travelling on business.
- We encourage our People to utilise their two paid volunteering days each year, to support the local community or charities.
Charity of the Year
Edgbaston Park Hotel & Conference Centre will nominate a charity of the year, each year, which we will support with fundraising activities with both our People and our guests.
The Hotel has set up a Green Committee made up of a cross-section of Hotel staff, who will meet every quarter to discuss and research green initiatives that the Hotel can look to introduce.
All staff have a role to play in improving the Hotel’s environmental and sustainability credentials. Every effort should be made by all our People to act in a environmentally conscious way while at work.
This policy statement will be reviewed annually to ensure that it remains applicable to the activities of the Hotel and any agreements made between the Hotel and its stakeholders.